Wood is an excellent fuel for heat and is a real money saver over burning fossil fuels such as oil and natural gas. Burning wood does produce a little pollution, but it’s a small price to pay for the benefits of this reliable fuel. The best wood stove is simple to use and can be left unattended without the worry of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Wood-burning stoves are designed to make burning wood more convenient and less inconvenient than burning wood in a fireplace. While the stove has some limitations when operating as a substitute for a fireplace, it has many advantages over the open fireplace design.
In this article, I reviewed the most popular wood stoves on the market and provided useful tips to consider while choosing the best wood stove for various needs.
The Best 5 Top Rated Wood Stoves
- 1. Best Overall: US Stove US1269E 900 Sq. Ft. Log Wood Cast Iron Stove 98
- 2. Best Small Wood Stove: ATiAP Ultralight Titanium Wood Burning Stove 98
- 3. Best Backpacking Wood Stove: Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove Portable Wood Burning Stove 94
- 4. Best Wood Stove For The Money: Drolet Wood Stove On Pedestal Model Escape 1800 90
- 5. Best Wood Stove For Heating House: Ashley Hearth AW1820E 1,800 Sq. Ft. Wood Stove Insert 88
If you need to see more models, read the article further
1. Best Overall: US Stove US1269E 900 Sq. Ft. Log Wood Cast Iron Stove
Reach for the US Stove Company US1269E when you need to keep your living area warm during cold winter months. It provides a great way to make your house a home. This stove is great for a cabin, garage, or shop where supplemental heat is required.
The US Stove Company US1269E has a rustic, durable design that will make a statement in any room. It is made with the highest quality materials, ensuring that it will last for many years. This stove is easy to operate, providing a clean-burning heating solution that is cost-efficient.
With a compact design that fits into the smallest of rooms and just a small amount of wood needed to achieve the desired heating, this stove is ideal for the homeowner who wants a great-looking stove that is also easy to use. With an efficient burn rate of 5 to 6 hours an hour, the US Stove 900 sq. ft.
Log Wood Stove delivers clean, efficient heat for up to three hours on mild days. This wood-burning appliance can be used as a replacement for a traditional fireplace. It is also a useful source of heat to warm up your home during cold weather.
What I Like:
- The US Wood Burning Stove is a large, powerful wood stove that will turn any room into a warm and cozy place to be in the dead of winter.
- It features a wood-burning capacity of 54,000 BTUs.
- This wood stove interior is well insulated and features a durable, high-quality steel construction that ensures long-lasting service.
2. Best Small Wood Stove: ATiAP Ultralight Titanium Wood Burning Stove
The ATiAP is a compact, ultralight wood burning stove designed to burn fast and efficiently while being safe and easy to use. ATiap is the world’s lightest wood stove in the ultralight category. Its compact design allows it to be the most portable wood-burning stove that you can find. The portable design is perfect for backpackers, hikers, and camping enthusiasts.
This wood stove is also perfect for those that need to use their stove in a small space. It is the ideal wood stove for your wall tent, yurt, small cabin, or work shed. Even if you have a large cottage or house, this wood-burning stove doesn’t take up much room.
This wood-burning stove is a fantastic piece of equipment. It is designed to be light and compact, so it is easy to carry. It is made of titanium, which makes it stronger than most wood stoves. The stove burns very hot and can cook food in minutes.
What I Like:
- This Ultralight Titanium Wood Stove is small, portable, and easy to use. It weighs only 7.2oz and is easy to carry around.
- It is made of titanium that is weather resistant and durable, making it withstand all kinds of weather conditions.
- It comes in a compact size, and hence it takes less space while burning.
- It is a great wood burning stove, and it is the most compact model available in the market.
3. Best Backpacking Wood Stove: Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove Portable Wood Burning Stove
The Ohuhu portable stove is a new stove that is gaining popularity in the market. The stove is made from 304-grade stainless steel and designed to stand the test of time. It is portable, so you can take it with you for camping or traveling. It can also be used for cooking.
The stove is lightweight at just less the one pound. The Ohuhu wood burning stove measures 5.3×5.3×5.3 inches and can provide 600 degrees of energy output.
The Ohuhu Wood Burning Backpacking Portable Wood Stove is an excellent tool for wood burning. Its portability and usability make it a great addition to any outdoor trip. It is a great heating source that can be used for boiling water, heating food, and even heating a tent.
The wood stove is made out of stainless steel, which gives it excellent heat-resistant capabilities. Many types of wood stoves are made out of aluminum which is a very light metal that gives off a minimal amount of heat. The Ohuhu Wood Burning Backpacking Portable Wood Stove is made out of stainless steel, a very durable metal that can withstand high temperatures.
What I Like:
- This stove is easy to use and very lightweight. It is compact and portable and therefore can easily be moved from one place to another.
- It comes with a base, and it is therefore easy to install, and all the other cookware is also easy to assemble with it.
4. Best Wood Stove For The Money: Drolet Wood Stove On Pedestal Model Escape 1800
The DROLET WOOD STOVE 1800 is our newest wood burning stove that features a sleek, modern look, combined with a powerful, efficient, reliable stove that provides a perfect warmth for your home. This is our most efficient wood-burning stove that has been designed to provide the best possible comfort for your home with the most efficient wood-burning stove.
The Duraflame 1800E is a wood burning stove on a pedestal that’s both functional and stylish. Duraflame’s signature retro design comes with the ability to burn wood for up to 8 hours at a time, giving you plenty of time to enjoy a crackling, warm fire.
This wood-burning stove from Drolet features a black stove body, making it a great addition to any decor. It features a high-efficiency rating, and it is EPA 2020 approved.
This model has a modern, compact design with a fully stainless steel front. The stove pipe is fully insulated, and the flue collar is included. The stove door is stainless steel with a durable glass window. It also has a neat handle for easy opening and closing.
What I Like:
- This wood burning stove has an air wash system designed to remove smoke and creosote from the heat exchanger.
- The stove has a huge holding capacity, with a large firebox.
5. Best Wood Stove For Heating House: Ashley Hearth AW1820E 1,800 Sq. Ft. Wood Stove Insert
The Ashley Hearth stove insert is designed to replace your old inefficient wood stove. Designed to be mounted between the walls of your home, this model features a simple installation system and a modern design that will add to your home’s appearance. With this wood stove, you will be able to heat rooms up to 1,800 square feet and enjoy it for many years.
It comes with a stainless steel firebox and an exterior wood box for the air inlet. The stove is available in deep black color and easy to install. It comes with everything you need to get it up and to run, including the chimney pipe and flashing kit.
A smart purchase for your home, this model will improve the efficiency of your home and save you money. You will be able to use it to heat your home naturally without dangerous emissions, and it will keep you away from hazardous chemicals. You will love the way it looks with its beautiful housing and how it is able to retain heat for your house.
What I Like:
- The model features a wall insert construction with an enamel interior, allowing you to heat your home efficiently while preventing the rapid accumulation of creosote from interfering with its operation.
- This wood stove is easy to operate, using a simple top-loading design. The cast-iron firebox provides excellent heat distribution so that you can heat your home quickly and efficiently.
6. Best Camping Wood Stove: StarBlue Camping Rocket Stove with Free Carrying Bag
The StarBlue Camping Stove is a fantastic little appliance! I’ve used various stoves over the years, and I can honestly say that I love this one more than any other stove that I’ve ever owned. It’s fairly compact and lightweight. It’s also incredibly durable and effortless to use.
This camping rocket product is made to burn wood and biomass. It’s made of quality stainless steel for durability. The stove is multifunctional. It can be used to prepare food while camping, heat water, and even be used to burn charcoal. The stove has a size of 12.5 X 12.5 X 6.5 inches and weighs 15.43 pounds. It is a lightweight, compact and unique camp stove perfect for outdoor adventures, including camping, backpacking, hunting, and fishing.
What I Like:
- The StarBlue Camping Rocket Stove is a new product that combines the traditional design of a rocket stove with modern technology and materials.
- This portable wood-burning rocket stove is an affordable and fuel-efficient way to cook and boil water for camping, hiking, hunting, and more.
7. Best Wood Stove For Garage: Camp Chef Alpine Heavy Duty Cylinder Stove
This brand new, heavy-duty wood-burning stove from Camp Chef is built to last. The stove features a cast iron door and body built to last for generations of family fun and camp memories. Besides camp installation, this stove can be aslo used in the garage.
The Camp Chef Alpine Heavy-Duty Cylinder Stove is the ultimate portable wood furnace. There are a couple of things that stand out about this wood-burning stove. It’s a lot smaller than it looks, and it’s super easy to install. These two things are a real plus if you’re looking for a wood stove that is perfect for camping, day trips, and garage applying.
This model is one of the most popular and most loved wood burning stoves on the market. It’s handy around the wood burning stove that’s great for almost any situation.
It’s an excellent stove for people who want to cook up some great meals while camping or for people who want to use it in their garage. It’s also a very efficient and reliable stove that can be used for many things.
What I Like:
- The Camp Chef Alpine Heavy Duty Cylinder Stove is a high-quality stove designed to burn wood and other biofuels.
- It is one of the best-selling stoves in the market and easily one of the top-rated wood stoves for outdoor cooking or garage using.
8. Best Outdoor Wood Stove: DANCHEL OUTDOOR 304 Stainless Steel Portable Wood Stove
This wood-burning stove is portable and lightweight. The product can be used in camping, backyard, picnics, etc. The stove is compact, has an excellent quality, and comes with a carrying bag for easy transportation. It has two adjustable air vents that can be used for air control. The stove has a durable and rust-proof 304 stainless steel burner for high performance. The product comes with a removable ash pan for easy ash disposal.
The Danchel Outdoor 304 Stainless Steel Portable Wood Stove is constructed out of stainless steel for durability and long-lasting use.
Dancheng product is a high-end wood-burning stove. It is made of durable metal with high precision and is mainly applied for outdoor wood burning. The stove consists of an inner shell, outer shell, bottom plate, end plate, ash drawer, ash box, damper, handle, control plate, fixing ring, and chimney.
The stove has the advantage of high performance, high cost-performance, wide application, low consumption, low emission, long service life, and other features.
What I Like:
- The wood burning stove is made of 304 stainless steel is a perfect wood stove for camping, hunting, fishing, and tailgating.
- This stove is easy to use and very safe. It is also very versatile. You can use it for cooking foods such as popcorn, chicken, fish, vegetables, eggs, pancakes, etc.
9. Best Portable Wood Stove: TOMSHOO Camping Stove Camp Wood Stove Portable
TOMSHOO Camping Stove is a portable stove for camping and backpacking. It is a wood-burning camping stove that is easy to use and foldable. This wood burning camping stove is perfect for outdoor cooking because it is small, lightweight, and easy to use. It can be used for camping, backpacking, hunting and fishing, tailgating, or home use.
This is a small but powerful wood burning stove that cooks stews, boils water, and boils eggs. TOMSHOO Camping Stove is great for backpackers, campers, survivalists, or anyone looking for a complete back-up heating solution. You can cook on this stove, boil water, and even bake on it.
The stove is small but very powerful and lights with the touch of a match. It provides hours of heat. This product is made of die-cast metal with a polished finish. The stove has a solid foundation for added stability and a windscreen for improved performance.
What I Like:
- This wood stove is an invaluable tool for any camper, hiker, or outdoor enthusiast.
- This stove is perfect for cooking all kinds of meals and keeping you and your family warm on especially cold days. It is also great for drying and preserving food that you may have caught while hunting or fishing.
- TOMSHOO Camping Stove is a versatile tool that can make your trips more comfortable, enjoyable, and safe.
10. Best Tent Wood Stove: Winnerwell Fastfold Titanium Wood Burning Stove for Tents and Shelters
This product is one of the best outdoor wood-burning stoves for camping, backpacking, or emergency preparedness. It is a foldable wood-burning stove that can easily fit in a backpack. It has a lightweight design and does not require a complicated setup.
The Winnerwell Wood Burning Tent Stove is the best wood stove for camping, hiking, and survival. The product was constructed with a specially designed air intake system that extracts air from the stove’s bottom. This allows for more wood gas to be burned, which means more heat and less smoke.
This Titanium Wood Burning Stove is very light and can be used by hikers and campers who want to save space. It is not a backpacking stove, but it is still small enough to be used in a tent. This wood burning stove is made of titanium and has a high heat output.
What I Like:
- The Winnerwell 16 inch FastFold Titanium Wood Burning Stove is the perfect addition to your next camping trip. It’s compact, lightweight, and durable for all your camping needs.
- You receive the ability to cook and boil water in the backcountry without the need for a sizeable bulky stove.
Choosing the right wood stove can be like picking a best friend: it’s a relationship that lasts a lifetime, and you want to make sure you make the right decision the first time. While there are many different wood stove models to choose from on the market today, the key factors to consider when choosing a wood stove are simple.
Wood heats best when it is dry, and thus you want to look for a stove that can burn dry wood directly without having to be pre-dried. The heat output of the stove is also essential, as larger stoves provide more heat. Below, I will explore the most common questions about choosing and using the best wood stove.
Best Wood To Burn In A Wood Stove
There are a few common species of wood that are typically recommended for burning in wood stoves. Among these, you will find maple, cherry, and oak, which are often touted as the best woods to burn in a stove. Because of their inherent ability to burn well, along with their relatively high heat output, they are commonly recommended by both manufacturers of wood stoves and firewood suppliers.
How To Use A Wood Stove Damper
Wood stoves have a damper that’s used to regulate the amount of airflow. Airflow helps the fire in the wood stove and also helps get rid of the smoke. If the damper is open too much, too much air can enter the firebox, disrupting the fire and causing smoke to enter the room through the chimney. If the damper is closed too much, the fire will go out, resulting in smoke in the room.
How To Get The Most Heat From A Wood Stove
Many people believe that you just need to light the fire and let it burn to get the most heat from a wood stove. Sure, that’s a good start, but there are many other things you can do to get more heat out of your wood stove. These tips can help you get the most heat from your wood stove even in the coldest months of winter.
Suppose you want to get the most heat out of your wood stove. You need to maintain the fire and control the draft:
- Use an airtight fireplace damper to keep the smoke and gases from escaping. This will ensure the smoke and gases don’t get into the house and that the gases don’t run into the atmosphere.
- Make sure your stove pipe is also airtight. Use a damper to ensure as much heat as possible stays in the house.
- Install a fire screen. It will help you with that by restricting airflow into the fire to burn hotter and longer.
- A plate setter will help you by putting the fire closer to the wood. This will cause the fire to burn hotter.
How To Circulate Heat From Wood Stove
Stove owners can have a hard time knowing how to circulate heat from wood stoves properly. There are many different ways to do this effectively, but many people don’t know what they are or how they can benefit them.
For that reason, it is essential to know how to circulate heat from wood stoves effectively and learn how to do it properly.
There are a couple of ways to circulate heat from a wood stove through your home: air circulation and water circulation. They are different, but all of them do have some key points in common:
- Air circulation. There are some ways to make your wood stove more efficient, but if you’re just looking for a way to get your home warmer faster, you can’t beat a wood stove fan. These fans are designed to draw in cold air from your home’s exterior and blow it over the hot wood-burning stove. The hot air from the stove is then transferred to the cold air from your home, creating a convection cycle that warms up your home faster than it would normally.
- Water circulation. This is the process of keeping the water circulating in the stove, getting the largest heat out of the wood. You need to know how to spread the water in the wood stove correctly because this is essential in keeping the fire alive. If you have ever used a wood stove before, you know that it is not as simple as throwing some wood in the stove. The wood needs to be prepared to have the best burning chance, which is where water circulation from the wood stove comes in.
How To Clean A Wood Stove Chimney
A wood stove is a great way to get heat into your home, but one of its more annoying features is a dirty flue. A dirty vent can cause your wood stove to lose heat and also cause it to stop working. Luckily, cleaning your wood stove flue is an easy project that you can do yourself.
The first step is to get your wood stove ready for cleaning by turning it up to its highest setting. This will cause the exhaust to be forced through the flue, which will help clean out any soot. The second step is to start cleaning your duct. You need to remove all the debris from the flue by hand. Then, you can apply a broom handle or a hose to knock down large elements of dirt and grime.
Here are a few tips to use when you’re trying to clean a wood stove chimney:
- Use the right cleaning tool. The wrong tool for the job will only cause you more work and likely damage your stove or chimney. A chimney brush is the best tool for the job; it can clean a chimney under 15 minutes.
- Clean your wood stove regularly.
How To Clean Wood Stove Glass?
A dirty glass on a wood stove is an indication that your stove is not burning efficiently and consuming too much wood to produce heat. It is essential to regularly clean your stove glass to ensure your fire is burning well and not waste energy.
Many experts will tell you that unsightly streaks and smudges on wood stove glass can be taken care of quickly with a method commonly called “the ‘S’ method.” You’ll need the following supplies: paper towels, glass cleaner, microfiber cloth, water, and a squeegee.
Mix equal parts water and glass cleaner and pour the solution over the glass. Next, take a paper towel and wipe the glass clean. Then, using a microfiber cloth, dry off the glass. Finally, take the squeegee and clean up any remaining streaks. After drying off the glass, you have a clean, streak-free glass.
How To Start A Fire In A Wood Stove?
The only true way to start a fire in a wood stove is to use a flammable liquid. The best kind of flammable liquid is kerosene. Use a metal container to pour the kerosene into the firebox. The best type of metal container is a coffee can or something similar.
How To Keep Wood Stove Burning All Night?
Keeping a wood-burning stove burning all night is hard, but it’s important to remember that as long as you have a supply of wood and you keep stoking the fire, you’re doing all you can do. The key to burning wood all night is to have enough wood to last the night. It’s also essential to keep the damper open so that you can build up the fire. If you really want to keep a wood stove burning all night, you need to have enough wood to last at least 12 hours.
If you have a regular wood stove, you can put a small amount of ash in the stove when you go to bed, and it should help keep the fire going all night.
The Bottom Line
In this article, we discussed the most important things you need to know about wood stoves. I hope you got the essential information about what to consider while choosing the best wood stove.
Moreover, I provided the list of top-rated wood stoves and gave you numerous pieces of advice about using, cleaning, and serving different kinds of wood stoves, and I hope this information was helpful to you.